Law:Unemployment Insurance Code General Provisions (California)
From Law Delta
Ca Codes (uic:1-21) Unemployment Insurance Code Section 1-21
1. This act is known and may be cited as the Unemployment Insurance Code.
2. The provisions of this code insofar as they are substantially the same as existing statutory provisions relating to the same subject matter shall be construed as restatements and continuations, and not as new enactments.
3. Any action or proceeding commenced before this code takes effect, or any right accrued, is not affected by this code, but all procedure taken shall conform to the provisions of this code as far as possible.
4. Unless the context otherwise requires, the general provisions hereinafter set forth govern the construction of this code.
5. Division, part, chapter, article, and section headings do not in any manner affect the scope, meaning, or intent of the provisions of this code.
6. Whenever a power is granted to, or a duty imposed on any person or board by any provision of this code, it may be exercised or performed by any deputy or person authorized by the person or board to whom the power is granted or on whom the duty is imposed, unless it is expressly provided that the power or duty shall be exercised or performed only by the person or board to whom the power is granted or on whom the duty is imposed.
7. Whenever any reference is made to any portion of this code or of any other law, the reference applies to all amendments and additions thereto, now or hereafter made.
8. "Writing" includes any form of recorded message capable of comprehension by ordinary visual means. Whenever any notice, report, petition, permit, statement, or record is required by this code, it shall be made in writing in the English language.
9. "Section" means a section of this code unless some other statute is specifically mentioned, and "subdivision" means a subdivision of the section in which the term occurs unless some other section is expressly mentioned.
10. The present tense includes the past and future tenses; and the future, the present.
11. The masculine gender includes the feminine and neuter.
12. The singular number includes the plural and the plural the singular.
13. "City" includes incorporated city, city and county, municipal corporation, municipality, town and incorporated town.
14. "County" includes city and county.
15. "Shall" is mandatory and "may" is permissive.
16. "Oath" includes affirmation and written certification or declaration subscribed to be true under penalty of perjury.
17. "Signature" or "subscription" includes mark. The mark shall be made as required in the Civil Code.
18. If any provision of this code, or its application to any person or circumstance is held invalid, the remainder of the code, or the application of the provision to other persons or circumstances is not affected.
19. All persons who, at the time this code goes into effect, hold office under any of the acts repealed by this code, which offices are continued by this code, continue to hold them according to their former tenure.
20. Whenever any reference is made to any person, officer, board, or agency by any provision of this code, the reference applies to any other person, officer, board, or agency to whom the functions vested in the person, officer, board, or agency referred to are transferred.
21. The Legislature hereby declares its intent that the term "workmen's compensation" shall hereafter also be known as "workers' compensation." In furtherance of this policy it is the desire of the Legislature that references to the term "workmen's compensation" in this code be changed to "workers' compensation" when such code sections are being amended for any purpose. This act is declaratory and not amendatory of existing law.