Law:Statutes Repeal Act
From Law Delta
S.c. 2008, c. 20
Assented to 2008-06-18
An Act to repeal legislation that has not come into force within ten years of receiving royal assent
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:
1. This Act may be cited as the Statutes Repeal Act.
Annual report of legislation not in force
2. In every calendar year, the Minister of Justice shall cause to be laid before the Senate and the House of Commons, on any of the first five days on which that House sits, a report listing every Act of Parliament or provision of an Act of Parliament that is to come into force on a day or days to be fixed by proclamation or order of the Governor in Council and that
(a) was assented to nine years or more before the December 31 immediately preceding the laying of the report; and
(b) had not come into force on or before that December 31.
Repeal on December 31 following
3. Every Act or provision listed in the annual report is repealed on December 31 of the year in which the report is laid unless it comes into force on or before that December 31 or during that year either House of Parliament adopts a resolution that the Act or provision not be repealed.
Publication in Canada Gazette
4. The Minister of Justice shall publish each year in the Canada Gazette a list of every Act or provision repealed on the preceding December 31 under this Act.
5. Section 2 does not apply to any provision amended by an Act that was assented to during the nine calendar years preceding the year this Act comes into force, or to any provision that is necessary for the amended provision to have effect, until the calendar year following the ninth anniversary of that assent.
Coming into force
- 6. This Act comes into force two years after the day on which it receives royal assent.
- (Note: Act in force on June 18, 2010.)