Law:Canada Health Care, Early Childhood Development and Other Social Services Funding Act
From Law Delta
S.c. 2000, c. 35
Assented to 2000-10-20
An Act respecting the provision of increased funding for health care services, medical equipment, health information and communications technologies, early childhood development and other social services and to amend the Federal-Provincial Fiscal Arrangements Act
WHEREAS the Government of Canada and the governments of the provinces and territories issued statements respecting health care services renewal and early childhood development at a meeting of First Ministers held in Ottawa on September 11, 2000;
AND WHEREAS, in light of these statements, the Government of Canada has agreed to increase funding to the provinces and territories for the purposes of health, post-secondary education, social assistance and social services, including early childhood development;
NOW, THEREFORE, Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:
1. This Act may be cited as the Canada Health Care, Early Childhood Development and Other Social Services Funding Act.
Medical Equipment Trust
Payment into trust
2. (1) The Minister of Finance may make a direct payment of $1 billion for the fiscal year beginning on April 1, 2000 to a trust established to provide funding to the provinces for the purpose of the Government of Canada’s contribution towards the purchase of modern medical diagnostic and treatment equipment and the costs directly associated with the installation of that equipment.
Provincial share of funds established under trust indenture
(2) The amount of funds that may be provided to a province and the release of those funds shall be determined in accordance with the terms of the trust indenture establishing the trust, taking into account the population of that province.
Funding For Health Information And Communications Technologies
Payment to corporation
3. The Minister of Finance may make a direct payment of $500 million for the fiscal year beginning on April 1, 2000 to a corporation, to be named by order of the Governor in Council on the recommendation of the Minister of Health, for the purpose of defining standards governing shared data to ensure the compatibility of health information networks.
Payment Out Of Consolidated Revenue Fund
Payment out of C.R.F.
4. The amounts authorized to be paid by sections 2 and 3 shall be paid out of the Consolidated Revenue Fund.
Amendments To The Federal-provincial Fiscal Arrangements Act
5. and 6. (Amendments)