Law:Campobello-Lubec Bridge Act
From Law Delta
S.c. 1958, c. 23
Assented to 1958-09-06
An Act to authorize the Construction of a Bridge across Lubec Channel between the Province of New Brunswick and the State of Maine
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:
1. This Act may be cited as the Campobello-Lubec Bridge Act.
Approval of bridge
2. Subject to this Act, the construction, operation and maintenance of the bridge described in section 3, as provided for by the agreement contemplated by that section, is hereby approved.
Authority to enter into agreement
3. The Province of New Brunswick (hereinafter referred to as "the Province") may enter into an agreement, subject to the approval of the Governor in Council, with the State of Maine for the construction, operation and maintenance of a bridge across Lubec Channel, for the free use and passage of persons, vehicles and goods, with all necessary approaches, roads and other works from a point on Campobello Island in New Brunswick to a point in Maine, at or near the Town of Lubec, Maine.
Plans and drawings to be submitted
4. (1) The bridge described in section 3 shall be constructed in accordance with and subject to such regulations for the safeguarding of navigation of Lubec Channel as the Governor in Council prescribes, and, for such purpose, the Province shall, prior to the commencement of construction of the bridge, submit to the Governor in Council for examination and approval plans and drawings of the bridge and a map of its proposed location, indicating accurately all relevant soundings and showing the bed of the channel and the location of all other bridges in the area, and furnish to the Governor in Council such other information as is required for a full and satisfactory understanding of the project.
Approval of plans and drawings prior to commencement
(2) Construction of the bridge shall not be commenced until such time as the plans and drawings referred to in subsection (1) and the location of the bridge have been approved by the Governor in Council, and no material change in such plans or drawings, or in the location of the bridge, shall be made after the commencement of construction of the bridge except with the prior approval of the Governor in Council.
Labour and materials
5. Where available in Canada, Canadian labour and materials, to the extent of 50%, as nearly as may be, of the cost of such labour and materials respectively, shall be employed in the construction of the bridge, and construction of the bridge shall not be commenced until such time as evidence satisfactory to the Minister of Labour has been submitted to him by the Province that the arrangements for the construction of the bridge are such as to ensure effective compliance with the requirements of this section.
Application of Fair Wages and Hours of Labour Act
6. The Fair Wages and Hours of Labour Act applies in respect of Canadian labour employed in the construction of the bridge.