Law:An Act respecting the provision of funding for diagnostic and medical equipment
From Law Delta
S.c. 2005, c. 11, s. 7
Assented to 2005-03-23
An Act respecting the provision of funding for diagnostic and medical equipment
(Enacted by section 7 of chapter 11 of the Statutes of Canada, 2005, in force on assent March 23, 2005.)Payment — equipment and services
1. (1) For the purpose of giving effect to the 2004 10-Year Plan to Strengthen Health Care, the Minister of Finance may, for the fiscal year beginning on April 1, 2004, make direct payments, in an aggregate of $500 million, to the provinces for the purposes of acquiring diagnostic and medical equipment and related specialized staff training in order to improve access to and reduce wait times for publicly funded diagnostic and treatment services.
(2) The amount payable to a province for the fiscal year shall be determined by multiplying the amount referred to in subsection (1) by the quotient obtained by dividing
(a) the population of the province for the fiscal year
(b) the total population of all provinces for the fiscal year.
Determination of population
(3) For the purposes of this Act, the population of a province for the fiscal year shall be determined by the Chief Statistician of Canada on the basis of Statistics Canada’s official estimate of the population of that province on June 1, 2004.
Payments out of C.R.F.
(4) Any amount payable under this Act may be paid by the Minister out of the Consolidated Revenue Fund at the times and in the manner that the Minister considers appropriate.
2. For greater certainty and for the purposes of this Act, the 2004 10-Year Plan to Strengthen Health Care includes the communiqués released in respect of the First Ministers’ Meeting on the Future of Health Care that was held from September 13 to 15, 2004.