Law:Canada Fund for Africa Act
From Law Delta
S.c. 2002, c. 9, s. 45
Assented to 2002-04-12
An Act to establish a program to provide contributions for the economic and social development of Africa in fulfilment of the objectives set out in the New Partnership for Africa’s Development
(Enacted by section 45 of chapter 9 of the Statutes of Canada, 2002; sections 1 and 2 in force April 12, 2002, see SI/2002-71; sections 3 to 5 in force June 27, 2002, see Si/2002-101.)Short title
1. This Act may be cited as the Canada Fund for Africa Act.
Definition of “Minister”
2. In this Act, “Minister” means the member of the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada who is designated by the Governor in Council as the Minister for the purposes of this Act.
Establishment of program
3. (1) There is hereby established a program, to be called the Canada Fund for Africa, the object of which is to provide for the payment of contributions to eligible recipients for the carrying out of eligible activities.
(2) An eligible activity is an activity that is, or is to be, conducted by an eligible recipient and that, in the opinion of the Minister, significantly promotes the fulfilment of the objectives set out in the New Partnership for Africa’s Development, adopted as the New Africa Initiative by the Organization of African Unity at Lusaka in July 2001 and, in particular, those objectives that were identified for support in the Africa Action Plan called for by the Group of Eight industrialized countries in Genoa in July 2001 and that are adopted by the Group of Eight at its summit scheduled at Kananaskis in June 2002.
(3) A foreign government, an agency of a foreign government, an international organization, a corporation, a partnership or a trust is an eligible recipient if it carries on or, in the opinion of the Minister, is capable of carrying on an eligible activity.
4. The Minister may enter into an agreement with an eligible recipient to provide for the payment of a contribution for an eligible activity under this Act.
5. The Governor in Council may make regulations generally for the carrying out of the purposes and provisions of this Act, including regulations establishing additional terms and conditions for the Fund.