From Law Delta
S.c. 2001, c. 41
Assented to 2001-12-18
An Act to amend the Criminal Code, the Official Secrets Act, the Canada Evidence Act, the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) Act and other Acts, and to enact measures respecting the registration of charities, in order to combat terrorism
WHEREAS Canadians and people everywhere are entitled to live their lives in peace, freedom and security;
WHEREAS acts of terrorism constitute a substantial threat to both domestic and international peace and security;
WHEREAS acts of terrorism threaten Canada’s political institutions, the stability of the economy and the general welfare of the nation;
WHEREAS the challenge of eradicating terrorism, with its sophisticated and trans-border nature, requires enhanced international cooperation and a strengthening of Canada’s capacity to suppress, investigate and incapacitate terrorist activity;
WHEREAS Canada must act in concert with other nations in combating terrorism, including fully implementing United Nations and other international instruments relating to terrorism;
WHEREAS the Parliament of Canada, recognizing that terrorism is a matter of national concern that affects the security of the nation, is committed to taking comprehensive measures to protect Canadians against terrorist activity while continuing to respect and promote the values reflected in, and the rights and freedoms guaranteed by, the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms;
AND WHEREAS these comprehensive measures must include legislation to prevent and suppress the financing, preparation, facilitation and commission of acts of terrorism, as well as to protect the political, social and economic security of Canada and Canada’s relations with its allies;
NOW, THEREFORE, Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:
1. This Act may be cited as the Anti-terrorism Act.
Part 1. Criminal Code
2. to 23. (Amendments)
Part 2. Official Secrets Act
24. to 30. (Amendments)
31. to 42. (Amendments)
Part 3. Canada Evidence Act
43. and 44. (Amendments)
45. and 46. (Amendments)
Part 4. Proceeds Of Crime (money Laundering) Act
47. to 75. (Amendments)
76. to 86. (Amendments)
Part 5. Amendments To Other Acts
87. to 112. (Amendments)
PART 6. REGISTRATION OF CHARITIES — SECURITY INFORMATION
113. The Charities Registration (Security Information) Act is enacted as follows:
(See Charities Registration (Security Information) Act)
Amendments To The Income Tax Act
114. to 118. (Amendments)
Part 7. Coordinating, Review And Commencement Provisions
119. to 144. (Amendments)
Review and Report
145. (1) Within three years after this Act receives royal assent, a comprehensive review of the provisions and operation of this Act shall be undertaken by such committee of the Senate, of the House of Commons or of both Houses of Parliament as may be designated or established by the Senate or the House of Commons, or by both Houses of Parliament, as the case may be, for that purpose.
(2) The committee referred to in subsection (1) shall, within a year after a review is undertaken pursuant to that subsection or within such further time as may be authorized by the Senate, the House of Commons or both Houses of Parliament, as the case may be, submit a report on the review to Parliament, including a statement of any changes that the committee recommends.
Coming into Force
Coming into force
- 146. (1) Subject to subsection (2), the provisions of this Act, other than sections 1, 24, 25, 47, 48, 76 to 86 and 119 to 145, and the provisions of any Act that are enacted by this Act come into force on a day or days to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council.
(2) Part 6 comes into force on a day to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council.
- (Note: Sections 1, 24, 25, 47, 48, 76 to 86 and 119 to 145 in force on assent December 18, 2001; sections 2 to 23.1, 26 to 46, 49 to 51, 53, 65 and 66, subsections 67(1) and (4) to (9), sections 68 to 73, 75 and 87 to 118 in force December 24, 2001, see SI/2002-16; section 52, subsections 67(2) and (3) and section 74 in force June 12, 2002, see SI/2002-86; sections 54 to 57, 58, 59 to 64 in force January 6, 2003, see Si/2002-164.)